I remember making mosaic owls as a kid like this. My three oldest kids engaged in this project instantly. They can choose to create their own designs or stick to a template (flower, sun, etc. that mommy draws for them.)
Ages: 2 and up. (With help gluing from Mommy as needed)
- a few bottles of white glue (Elmer’s style)
- 9-bean soup mix, or any assortment of grains or legumes
- construction paper
- Have either mommy or kids draw a design they would like to cover with beans on a piece of colored construction paper. (Let them choose what color…the more they get to choose, the more they take ownership of their project.)
- Either kids or mommy can outline and fill in a few large areas at a time of the flower or other type of picture. Have the kids cover the glue area with beans. They can keep the beans mixed by just sprinkling them on, or they could sort the beans and apply different kinds to different areas.
- Continue adding glue and beans until picture is complete.
- Let mosaics dry in a safe place.
- Display projects proudly on a wall.