Time for something sweet! This one is an original recipe from my mother-in-law, Dawn. I make it only for an extra-special treat or when I really want to impress some guests. This is no vitamin-packed breakfast smoothie. The kids go wild with it. In my humble opinion, it’s okay to delve into something this wonderfully sweet and rich on occasion. 🙂 You will need a trifle bowl. I always borrow Dawn’s. 🙂
2 boxes of brownie mix (If using Ghirardeli brownie mix, omit chocolate chips)
1 cup chocolate chips
2–3.4 oz. boxes instant chocolate pudding
2 cups sour cream
2 cups milk
16 oz. frozen raspberry sauce, defrosted (usually comes in a plastic tub similar to sour cream)
fresh or frozen raspberries
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 Tbs. powdered sugar
- Mix brownies according to instructions on box. Add chocolate chips to batter. Cook according to instructions and allow to cool.
- In electric mixer, milk and sour cream with the pudding mix. Transfer pudding to another bowl.
- Next, beat heavy whipping cream in electric mixer for 2 minutes, or until stiff peaks form. Add powdered sugar.
- Slice brownies with sharp knife into small bite sized chunks.
- Scatter half the brownie chunks over the bottom of the trifle bowl.
- Next, spoon half the raspberry sauce over the brownies.
- Then layer half the chocolate pudding, taking care to spread evenly all the way to the sides of the trifle bowl so it looks pretty from the side.
- Layer half of the whipped cream on top of the pudding, also making sure to spread all the way to the edges of the bowl.
- Repeat the layers with rest of ingredients: brownie chunks, raspberry sauce, pudding, and whipped cream. Then sprinkle raspberries over top. Keep refrigerated. Use as a reward to your children for eating their veggies!