Here is a Tex-Mex favorite. This one is always a hit with our kids. Even my 17-month-old loves it! We’ve got one in the freezer ready to go right now!
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped (My kids won’t eat this so I scrap it.)
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbs. chili powder
1 Tbs. sugar
1 10 oz. can diced tomatoes (Sometimes I use the roltel diced tomatoes with green chilies for extra spice–our kids can handle it!)
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 14 oz. can pinto beans (or black beans), drained
1 14 oz can sweet corn
1 cup sour cream
1 cup cottage cheese
10-14 flour tortillas, whole wheat or white (or for gluten free, use corn tortillas)
1 1/2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese on top
green onions, sliced
black olives, sliced
Brown meat with onion and next 5 ingredients. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and water. Simmer 5 min. over medium heat. Add beans and corn.
Process (I put in blender) sour cream, cottage cheese, and egg until smooth.
Cut each tortilla into long strips. I make them about as wide as a normal lasagna noodle, about 2 1/2 in., so you are cutting 3 strips out of each tortilla.
For the layering:
- Place small amount of meat mixture in bottom of greased 9×13 dish.
- Layer 1/2 tortilla strips over meat. (You will be laying the strips on top of each other so that the covering is about 2 tortillas thick.)
- Then layer half of remaining meat mixture.
- Next add all the sour cream mixture.
- Then sprinkle with half the cheese (I mix both kinds of cheeses together).
- Layer the rest of the tortillas.
- Add rest of meat mixture.
- Top with last of cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 min. (I usually stick my finger in the middle to see if the tortillas are soaked and well cooked.
Add toppings. Enjoy!!!
Tip: I make these two at a time and freeze one (before I bake it). Just thaw it in the fridge the night before and then bake for the normal time.